Do you keep a prayer journal? If you don’t, you might consider trying it out. It’s easy.
I use a spiral notebook and fold the first few pages in half. On the left column you write the date and the prayer requests and leave the right side open for the answers. Keeping a prayer journal has some great benefits:
- You know how you tell people you’re praying for them? This way, you’ll remember to do it. And not only do it, but check back with them to see how things are going.
- It keeps you organized. One stop shopping for all your prayers of intercession.
- I recently started using #hashtags as a quick reference for what I was praying. For instance, I have a friend that has a great job opportunity but it would require him to move his entire family to another country. So he’s on the list and I’m praying for his situation, but what I’m asking God to provide him is #wisdom. I could also have put #discernment or #bigflashingneonsign, but you get the idea.
- Proof that God answers prayers.
- This particular prayer journal I started recently, so only a few things on the right column have answers. I’ve gotten out of the habit, but in our small group a couple of years ago, I would journal our prayer requests. It was amazing to go back and look at the pages of answered prayers. Spiritual encouragement. A wonderful place to go and see God’s work in your life. Pages of love, hope, and faithfulness at your fingertips.
What I noticed today as I #hashtagged the prayer requests is that over half of my list is requests for healing. It’s not surprising–when someone is sick, especially if they are very sick, we ask people to pray for them. But what about the other things in life? Paul admonishes us to
Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus. ~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Not that you’re going to ask just anyone to pray for all the nitty-gritty sticky personal stuff going on in your life, but don’t be afraid to ask the people you trust to pray for things besides just #healing. Get personal. Get real. God answers prayers.
DO YOU KEEP A PRAYER JOURNAL? HOW DOES IT WORK FOR YOU?
Need prayer? Post below or message me and I’ll add you to my journal.